Experience the beauty of southeast Ohio by motorcycle. Cruise hundreds of miles of touring routes for all skill levels and encounter rolling hills and valleys, scenic byways and breathtaking views of the Ohio River valley. Discover for yourself why Ohio State Route 26 north of Marietta was chosen as one of the Nation’s Top 40 Most Scenic Drives by Life Magazine. A tour of SR 26 winds through pristine countryside bringing riders up close and personal with nature’s glory in majestic Wayne National Forest.
In 2004, the editors of RoadRUNNER Motorcycle Cruising & Touring magazine found the opportunities for touring and cruising in Washington County so fabulous that they developed a four day Shamrock Tour, Marietta, Ohio: A Great Ohio River Valley Escape to share with their readers.
Using the historic Lafayette Hotel in downtown Marietta as their home base, RoadRUNNER staff created four touring routes:
Shamrock Tour Article A Great Ohio River Valley Escape
- Day One Tour: The Bridges of Washington County (197 miles)
- Day Two Tour: The Presence of Isabelle (194 miles)
- Day Three Tour: The Northern Leaf (199 miles)
- Day Four Tour: West Virginia Side Trip (230 miles)
Download the Shamrock Tour article and read about the attractions, lunch spots, scenic views, history and nuances of the region that make southeast Ohio an incredible destination for your next motorcycle escape. Click each tour above to download a tank map!
Destination: Marietta, Washington County, Ohio
Getting here is half the fun! Situated in the Appalachian Foothills, Marietta is situated at the confluence of the Ohio and Muskingum Rivers and surrounded by winding roads nationally recognized for their scenic vistas and views.
We suggest the following routes to and from Marietta for your riding enjoyment:
- Zanesville – Ohio State Route 60 south to Marietta
- Cambridge – Ohio State Route 821 south to Marietta
- Wheeling, WV – cross Ohio River to Ohio State Route 7 south (Ohio River National Scenic Byway) to Marietta, OR
- Ohio State Route 7 south to Ohio State Route 78 west to Woodsfield to Ohio State Route 26 south to Marietta
- Huntington, WV – Ohio State Route 7 north (Ohio River National Scenic Byway)
- Charleston, WV – US Route 60 west to Nitro; US Route 35 north to Ohio State Route 7 north (Ohio River National Scenic Byway) to Marietta
- Clarksburg, WV – US Route 50 west to Ellenboro; WV State Route 16 north to St. Mary’s; cross Ohio River to Ohio State Route 7 (Ohio River National Scenic Byway) south to Marietta
- Lancaster – Ohio State Route 37 east to Malta to Ohio State Route 60 south to Marietta
- Chillicothe – US Route 50 east to Athens to Ohio State Route 550 east to Marietta
Your safety is most important to us. To find out more information, and current requirements by law for the States of Ohio and West Virginia, please click on the links below.